Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Vespers

The first time I went to the Convent for a retreat, I saw on the program that it started at Vespers.  In a panic, I called a former friend and asked her "What the hell is Vespers?!?"  It is one of the offices, sometimes referred to as Evening Prayer.  It is my favorite time at the Convent, because the language and light are so beautiful.
I sat on my couch yesterday, looking out the window, and realized that the sun was setting and the light outside was beautiful.  It brought me to Phos Hilaron:

"O gracious Light
pure brightness of the everliving God in heaven,
O Jesus Christ, holy and blessed!

Now as we come to the setting of the sun,
and our eyes behold the vesper light,
we sing your praises, O God:
Holy and Undivided Trinity.

You are worthy at all times to be praised by happy voices,
O Word of God, O Giver of Life,
and to be glorified through all the worlds."

The Saint Helena Breviary  p.123

I realize that I was joining my prayer with many others praying this Office.  It truly is a Community which spans the world and includes little 'ol me.  My connection to a group of Nuns has blessed my life beyond words, and I hope that they know this. 

I think that this holds true for everyone in the world, who looks up in the sky for a remembrance, a prayer.  I understand that at night fall of the Sabbath, Jewish people look for 3 stars.  I used to go outside at headquaters (when I worked EMS) at sundown to listen to the call to Prayer from the Muslim Mosque.  It was breathtaking and took me out of myself.  It helped me see that I am a small part of a much larger web of people.  Whatever faith, whatever life, whatever place on earth, we can all look to the sky and loose ourselves for just a moment.

"Oh God, make speed to save us.  Oh God, make hast to help us"

p. 123


No comments:

Post a Comment