Sunday, February 3, 2013

Ouch!!

I recently asked a friend of mine to help me understand something about myself.  As soon as her text came through, I winced and replied with "Bite me!"  Her little bit of truth hit me and made me draw back.  After a few minutes, I continued the text conversation knowing that I had the opportunity for another freaking growth experience.  Yeah me!
My reaction with 'bite me' had me thinking a bit.  Hearing a bit of truth can cause a severe reaction.  I heard a Priest describe it this way:  If someone grabbed you by the collar and dragged you backwards knocking you down, you'd be very angry.  You might even start a fight with him until you realized that he had just saved you from walking in front of a speeding bus.  This particular teacher went on to say that he has had this happen to him (metaphorically, of course).  He said that it used to take him 2 years to get over the shock, now it only takes him 2 days.  Either way, he was able to be grateful fo the person keeping him from getting smashed.
I think I have a pretty good understanding of what he was talking about.  I've had several people love me enough to talk truth to me.  In fact, I've had a good bit of practice with it lately, and I am learning to take it better and better.  Recently, my spiritual director even told me that she 'rubbed my nose in it'.  I had a big laugh saying 'You are the only person in my life who could get away with that!'.
I read in a book one time that Truth is revealed slowly.  It gives the person time to absorb it along the way.  We are also only given the amount of truth that we are ready for.  So when we get it, we should try to be thankful, not resentful. 
I still wonder about a someone I used to know.  I shared a bit of truth with her one day, and it was seen as destructive, not helpful.  The sad part is that we had both sat through the teaching of that Priest who tried to help us understand this process.  If it was the first time she encountered this type of truth, it just might take her 2 years to get over it.  My experience with "Bite me!" helped me see how hard it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment