Saturday, February 23, 2013

Cold mist

I was walking outside to my new office today.  My husband's present to me was to dry-wall and fix up the upstairs of the pool house for me to use.  I remember when we first looked at this property.  I was terribly excited about having this space as mine.  Almost 5 years later, it is.
It seems that the first 20 years or so of my adulthood has been working towards something.  I worked towards college degrees, certifications.  We've worked towards paying off bills, owning new cars.  We worked towards building a house, towards a healthier marriage, towards raising kids.  It seems that this has been the story of my life.  In many ways, it was how I was raised.
When I got to the top of the outside stair case, I looked around our place in the beautiful mist that had settled shortly before sundown.  I could smell the sweet chimney smoke and listen to the ruffling of birds in the cedar tree.  For a brief moment, I just breathed in living into my now.  I was able to pause and think, I really am living the very thing I've always seemed to be working toward.
This is a sacred rest in my journey, understanding how fully blessed I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment