Monday, June 25, 2012

Using my voice

So, I have started on the Toastmaster's journey. My uncle recommended it to me years ago, and I finally have a chance to attend meetings. I met with a mentor today and we started to discuss my first speech. She talked about getting nervous she said something that made so much sense to me.

When we are talking in front of people, we are asking them to trade something they will never get back: their time.

As I pondered this a bit, I started wondering what this means for me. One time, I gave a sermon at church. My talk should have lasted about 12 minutes. I spoke so fast, I ended in less than 5. Few people could understand me. I think that part of my problem was feeling worthy of their time and attention. Part of me still needed convincing that I have something valuable to say. A friend and fellow blogger has the word Voice in the title of her blog. I resonate with this, because I have struggled for so long finding that voice and learning how (and sometimes when) to use it.
For me, writing has become more comfortable than speaking out loud. There is no obligation in reading this blog, you can take it or leave it. Yet, speaking in front of people requires some attention and time from the listener. I hope to be a good steward of that time when I give this speech next month.
The most important sense I took away from our meeting was simple. She said that Toastmasters is a safe place to fail. I am grateful for knowing this. We all fail, we all make mistakes. We should all have these safe places in our lives. I look forward (with great trepidation) to using my out loud voice.

3 comments:

  1. I was in Toastmasters years ago. Great organization and it helped me tremendously with my public speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, you are a great speaker. I am glad to hear there is hope for me! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Equally importantly, Toastmasters is a great place to improve. I am a much better speaker after having been through the Toastmaster's program.

    I, too, am a more comfortable writer than speaker. Especially at the beginning, I wrote all of my speeches. Eventually I learned to find a speaking voice rather than a writing voice and, more slowly, how to speak from outline rather than from paragraphs of text.

    ReplyDelete