Monday, June 4, 2012

Direct and unmediated

Some friends of mine sent me a facebook invitation to the opening of the first Quaker Meeting house in South Carolina in over 150 years. At the last minute, I gathered my two youngest kids and took off to the other side of Columbia. I enjoy learning about worshipping in different ways. I really had no idea how different this would be.

The bulletin talked about the founder, some guy name Fox. He had anticipated problems with the Anglican church and worked to found the Quaker movement. I had to laugh because of my own experiences. During the introduction to the Quaker style of worship, the speaker talked about a 'direct and unmediated' experience of God. I was stunned by this bold statement, and most intrigued.

I grew up in traditional churches. These churches are dependent on members of the clergy to mediate the congregants experience of God. One must be ordained in order to bestow and official blessing, Baptize, bury the dead. You also must be ordained to read the Gospel in a service. I had always thought along these same lines when, one day, I made an acquaintance with a different sort of Priest. I was trying to defer to him about something holy because he had a clerical collar. He actually ROLLED HIS EYES and said "It was either go to jail, or go to the seminary!" I laughed so hard, realizing how ridiculous these relationships between the ordained and laity can become. It was after that meeting that I became much more confident about my own experiences with the Divine. Some how, I think this greatly threatens some clergy who hold on very tight to their role as go-between with God.

So, there I sat in this very plain looking church, with every day plain folks. The pews were made into a square circle in order to have people facing themselves, not an altar. There was not big fancy procession, no order of worship. We simply sat in community waiting for someone feeling the Call to talk and share a message. It was exquisite.

After the service, there was good food and even better conversation. People talked about local and national politics. It was quite relaxed and friendly. There was no talk about church politics, vestries or elections. No one was complaining about the hymns, sermon or money. There was no fighting for control because every one belonged and had a valued voice.

Last Sunday, I met some of the smartest, most thoughtful people on the planet. I spent a little time in a world where my relationship with God is direct and unmediated. I'm pretty sure I'll go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment