Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Orthodox

So my last post inspired me to talk about another subject near to my heart. A person told me that when you get two ends of the spectrum, sometimes they meet around on the other end. Sometimes, I think this is true of religion.
Just this year, I have worshiped at the following services:
Russian Orthodox Christian
Methodist
Episcopalian
Orthodox Jewish
Non-denominational services
Quaker

I also attended a Sufi retreat learning about Islam. My yoga practice is full of Hindu teachings. When I thought of this list, I wondered if I am confused, or well rounded. I suspect a little bit of both. Well, a lot of both.

I attended the Russian Orthodox service at the invitation of a friend. It was the Feast of the Nativity, their Christmas. I was very excited, and a bit nervous about the service. I've never had to cover my hair before, so I wasn't quite sure how to tie the scarf. My nervousness soon went away as I was swept in to another time and place. It was an beautiful service that lasted 2 hours. People moved around most of the service, and I never got bored. The chanting was beautiful and Communion was offered in sacred and holy way. I had never seen such eloquence in a service. I was touched by the sincerity with which they worshipped. They followed every single rule, not just the ones that they like. Therefore, I was not able to receive Communion. Yet, I was still offered bread and welcomed into their community. After the service, my friend asked me if I was still attending the Episcopal Church. I winced and told her that I had been ex-communicated. She laughed and said that had she been Episcopalian, she would have been ex-communicated too.

I left that service a bit jealous of children raised in an Orthodox home. There has to be comfort in the structure that this provides. I remember reading 'My Name is Asher Lev' in high school. This story follows a Hasid family as the child, Asher, grows into a gifted artist. This was a formative book in my childhood, and even adulthood. I later found out there was a sequel. I won't tell you what happens, because it is a great book. After reading both books, I identified with Asher's struggles with religion and even parenting.

So this is part of my story where two ends of the spectrum met up a bit with me. I have enjoyed being free to worship many different ways. I look forward to finding out where I might go next.


2 comments:

  1. You sound like someone who is religious without enjoying religion. As if you enjoy the faith without the fundamentalism. More unorthodox than orthodox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, pretty much. : )

    ReplyDelete