Monday, April 4, 2011

The final book


Thanks to a comment by my faithful cousin, I found out that Jean Auel had completed her series of Earth's Children. I had no idea that she had already published this book, and it has taken me quite by surprise. I got up this morning and drove straight to the book store and bought the book. This series of books has had quite an impact in my life. One day, someone was trying to help me understand a part of myself. As if struck by a lightening bolt of insight, I literally, sat straight up and said "It is like Ayla in Clan of the Cave Bear!" About 2 years later, we would name our youngest child Ayla. There are so many reasons attached to naming her this. There are so many things I have learned about myself while reading this series. There is just so much here. I was under the impression that I had read the last book in the series. Up until now, I didn't know there would be an end to this epic story. Because of that, I have very mixed feelings about starting this last book. One part of me wants to keep wondering what happens to Ayla. Part of me aches to know the end. In the video clip about this book, they announced "Ayla becomes the woman she was meant to be." This quote has such a place in my life right now. I have been searching, trying, hoping to find the woman I was meant to be. Perhaps, I can find some more of my own truth in this story. I wonder. Later tonight, I will begin reading this book. I will do it with great intention, knowing what this book has taught me about myself. I can't wait!!

4 comments:

  1. This book makes me want to roar in a cave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roar!! I assume this means you are reading it. I'm about 1/3 finished. It is so odd reading my daughter's name over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finished the book last night. Not as excellent as the initial books but still a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In case you are curious, there is a picture of the arch over the river at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ard%C3%A8che_River. The pictures of Chauvet Cave (the 7th cave) are fabulous.

    There is a walk through Lascaux cave at http://www.lascaux.culture.fr/#/fr/02_00.xml.

    ReplyDelete