Saturday, April 9, 2011

A Litany

A LITANY of the PERSON


image of God

born of God's breath

vessel of Divine Love

capacity for the Infinite

after God's likeness

dwelling of God

eternally known

branch of Christ

chosen of God

abiding in Christ

called from eternity

home of Infinite Majesty

temple of the Holy Spirit

receptacle of the Most High

wellspring of Living Water

life in the Lord of all Life

heir of the reign of God

abode of the Trinity

the Glory of God


God sings this litany

eternally in the precious Word.

This is who you are.

Abbey of Gethsemani Trappist KY 40051

[modified slightly, Ann Prentice, OSH]

4 comments:

  1. Vague memory... do we have a 2nd cousin (something removed) who is a nun (or a demi-nun/semi-nun) at this convent? I thought it was somewhere in Kentucky and I expect that there can't be too many convents in Kentucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micheal, you'd have to ask your Dad. I do seem to have some sort of memory of this, too. That would be very, very interesting. Can you find out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my father:

    Travis Brooks Carter, my mother's first cousin, was a full fledged nun but not a closeted one. She taught school in, I assume, a Catholic school. My mother's father came from a strong, but not historic, Catholic family.

    I had met her once as a teenager when she visited her brothers in Columbia. At that time she had to stay in a convent in Columbia and could not venture out in a car with her brothers unless another nun went along. I re-established contact 10 to 15 years ago looking into family history. I contacted her when I learned that she had written a history of the Brooks family on America.

    A couple of years later I received an invitation to the celebration of her sixtieth anniversary of taking her vows. I went [to the convent in Kentucky] and what a difference in the attitude and the freedom of these folks.

    I didn't know the young Travis (Travis was her secular name and I forget her sacred name, but she was called Sister Sammy), but the older Travis was a friendly, open, outgoing person with whom we enjoyed visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Abbey of Gethsemani is part of the Trappist Order. Sister Sammy was part of the Ursuline Order. Thus, a different convent.

    ReplyDelete