Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day by day

Our family seems to be finding our rhythm of things. Over the past year, we have had some major ups and downs (temper tantrums are not only reserved for children). We figured out a few things, made some changes. Most of all, our ups and downs have evened out a bit. When something happens, we just seem to take it as it comes. We end a great day knowing that tomorrow could be worse. We end a bad day hoping that tomorrow will get better. There is a rhythm to life, and we seem to be enjoying it. I've even promised to start playing the guitar again! Good news, except for my neighbors who might have to listen.
I heard someone say that you really don't know who you are until you hit 40. I turn 39 this year, and I am starting to understand what she meant. I am just now starting to get to know who I am. More than that, I am starting to like who I am. Even more than that, I've found people who seem to like me just as I come. Having friends like that is all I could ever ask for. Sometimes, I realize I struck it rich with friends. Everyone should be so lucky.
I guess the biggest change in my life has come at one major realization. Life doesn't have to be so complicated! It is the little things that matter. My 5 year old likes to give kisses. His baby sister learned to say 'I love you'. My nine year old just wants to play catch (although, I need a new glove). My 14 year old just wants to know someone is listening. My husband just wants to know that I still, after all of these years, love him. I really even still like him (believe it or not!).
It almost seems that the less I try, the easier things get. I try to just accept the beauty and bounty of my life right now. I don't question it, I don't even try to understand it any more. I am just grateful. Very, very grateful.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely post to find this morning -- in essence, a longish prayer of thanksgiving. Embrace your gratitude and stay open to what life has to teach you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that they have come out with the next Ayla book, The Land of Painted Caves?

    ReplyDelete