Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Village

I had a wonderful time last night. I spent some time with 'my village'. It is a concept introduced to me a long time ago by an article in a natural parenting magazine. The author urged mothers to search for 'their village'. It was a new, provocative idea for me. I loved it, and started trying to embrace the concept. It has taken the better part of 10 years for me to feel like a real participant in my community of mothers (or even feeling a part of any community). Last night was the last straw for me. I am hopelessly, utterly and profoundly stuck with this group of women. For that, I am eternally grateful. I've written about you. I have spoken of you in a sermon. Most of all, I love you and know that you love me.
Last night, we talked a bit about how much we have all grown and changed over the years. I was able to laugh at myself, and some of the crazy things I have said and done. I heard others do the same. It was very satisfying to see that all of the 'invisible' work we have done was for a greater purpose. I read this quote this morning in a book. I think it sums it up best.

"To be seen, the uninitiated create insane things, some destructive to life to feel visible and powerful. These creations are touted as the real world. They are actually forms of untutored grief signaling a longing for the true reality of village togetherness." p. 232 of Secrets of the Talking Jaguar by Martin Prechtel

4 comments:

  1. During spring break this year, I am taking my wife and kids to the Yucatan. We will spend several days living in a Mayan village. We will be in the town of Ek Balam in Mexico rather than the Guatemalan village the Mr.Prechtel visited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family takes the most amazing trips! Enjoy, and send pictures. Did you read the book? I'm almost done, I think he wrote another one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have pictures from our spring break trip through the Yucatan at https://picasaweb.google.com/frippery2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked at all of them. What an incredible trip! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete