Monday, June 3, 2013

A chance encounter

     When I was in High School, my mom received a phone call early in the morning.  Instantly, I knew something was wrong.  My cousin had committed suicide.  The news shocked our family, yet I headed off to school.  I ended up breaking down in my German class, just before an my early dismissal.  A friend walked me out to my car.  My mother and I were going to head to the house to speak with the family.
     I am fuzzy on the details of that day, it was a bit overwhelming to my teenage self.  After hearing some of the details, I began to worry about walking into the house.  I was not sure what it would look like after knowing that a death had occurred so recently.  Upon entering the front room, I realize that it had been cleaned completely.  It showed loving attention to leaving no mark of death.  I have a distinct memory of looking at the wall and saying a prayer.  "Thank you so much for the people who came and helped.  Oh God, thank you for sending them."  I realized that they had performed a very necessary and difficult task.  It was an act of sacrifice and love.
     I had not thought much about that day.  In fact, it was a time I had tried to forget.  So much grief, so much loss.  One day, beside my pool, I was sitting with my daughter's former Youth Minister.  As we got to talking, I realized that he had known my cousin.  In fact, he had been his Youth Minister.  We lamented together and talked.  We both struggled to understand such a loss.  We both missed him.
     Almost embarrassed, he confessed to me that he had been the one to come to the house that night.  He had cleaned the front room.  My jaw dropped and my body began to shake.  I teared up and started thanking him.  I even told him about the prayer I had said that day.
     It is so rare that we are given this sort of gift.  A chance prayer and a chance encounter showing the web of connectedness we all share.  I also realized a very, very important lesson.  Sometimes, it is years later that our contributions are acknowledged.  I need to just lower my head and do the best I can do.  Someone probably notices me, or the work I have done.  Maybe they didn't.  I know that showing up and doing things for people is what life is all about.  Sometimes, even 20 years later, you might be given the gift of knowing someone prayed for you.  You might be even luckier.  You may have the chance to meet the person you prayed for.

No comments:

Post a Comment