Sunday, May 12, 2013

Bent

For my Mother's Day ponderings, I headed into our woods.  We have 16 acres including 2 creeks.  Sometimes, when I can quiet my mind, I get a gift of insight.  This morning, it came in the form of an oak tree.

I looked up at an oddly shaped sprout.  At first, I thought it was some sort of vine because it was only as thick as my thumb.  After looking at the leaves, I realized it was an oak tree about 15 feet high.  It was oddly bent, and I realized that the top leaves were catching the morning light.  This is why it was so oddly formed, it had bent from its original upward journey in order to catch more light.  All trees need sunlight to survive.  In a crowded forest, it can be scarce.  I think in a struggling world, light can even be more rare.  In my Spiritual pursuits, I have come to see light as Truth.  I also know that darkness can never overcome light.

So, this tree bent in order to find light.  I've seen others bend in order to find that Truth.  I've bent myself in order to find it.  It hurts to bend sometimes.  I hurts to leave your original path.  It can make you look oddly shaped.  Many people cannot understand and see it as a flaw.  As with this tree, you might see it that way.  It might be hard to realize that this deformity is beauty at its purest.  It is a physical way of seeking light. 

This tree seems to doing better than just surviving.  It is beautiful and appears to be thriving.  I wonder if it is so healthy because of that bend.  It catches more light now that it is bent.  With that extra few hours of sunlight, it can grow more and be more healthy.  I wonder what it will look like in another 30 years.  I hope whoever looks at it will see the immense beauty designed into a tree that bent in order to find extra light.

2 comments:

  1. Melissa, I love this description of bending toward the light and the gift of stretching. You embody this for us, so gracefully. Tom

    ReplyDelete