Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My first speech!

This is a copy of the speech I gave at toastmasters today. It went fairly well. During my evaluation, my evaluator asked me if I became short of breath. I laughed and said yes, I don't think I breathed much during the speech. Of course, I went too fast. Overall, I loved it and look forward to more!

Good afternoon fellow toastmasters. I am here today to introduce myself to you and give you information about my background, interests and ambitions. I have decided the title of this speech is a “Simple Life”. During my visits to this group, I have had the privilege of hearing many of your icebreaker speeches. I am thankful for this opportunity and look forward to what the future holds.
To begin telling my story, I’ll start at the beginning and work my way to the present. I come from a large family with many cousins, great-aunts and uncles. My family’s roots here in SC go back to the revolutionary war. My great-uncle still lives on land-granted property in Newberry County. I was raised in the 1970’s as our country scrambled to recover from a War. Much of my childhood was directly affected by my father’s experience in Vietnam.
My experience in school was typical. I was a good student and a pretty good athlete. I would become captain of high school basketball team. I even met this particular guy my junior year. At our first date, I had a feeling we would be spending the rest of our lives together.. After graduating from Lexington High School, I went off to Clemson University. The basketball coach there offered me a walk-on position. At the time, I was really struggling to adjust to college life, and my grades were horrible. There are times I wish I had taken that opportunity to become a college basketball player.
My major was psychology; I spent the majority of 4 years trying to figure out everyone and everything. I also became involved with a local rescue squad running ambulance calls. After college, I married and went to work here in Richland County as a paramedic. I worked nights in downtown Columbia during a period where this was the highest, per capita, violent crime city in the country.
After about 3 years of marriage, my husband I brought our first born into this world. Life as I had known it changed that day. This experience of childbirth and breastfeeding would go on to become a deep passion of mine.
Later, I went to school with 2 small children. I look back and wonder how I managed to make it through. With help from my mother and family, I became a registered nurse. It was a very proud day for me, mixed with sadness in the loss of my grandmother the very same week. I had cared for her in the years before her death and I count those years as very formative in my life. I grew up learning from all 4 of my grandparents. I am very lucky to have heard firsthand accounts of wars, the great depression and life in a different era.
After nursing school, I went to work on an ob/gyn floor. After about a year, I had my third child. I quit working and became involved in my first political action committee. We were working towards legislation to protect a mother’s right to nurse her baby in public. These were my first experiences with public speaking, and it was excruciating for me.
Without much experience as a nurse, and needing more income, my next job came in an Emergency Department. This was a great place for me to use my skills I had obtained as a paramedic and learn to define myself as a nurse. I also managed to have another baby while working there. If you are counting, that is 4 children.
After 5 years in the Emergency department, I moved to my current job. My husband lost his job, and we spent the summer racing to figure out who was going to be the primary breadwinner. I won that race and am happy to be challenged with a new sort of role. I am a patient educator for mothers and babies. After years of working in emergency medicine, I finally have the opportunity and confidence to sit and simply talk with my patients. I also have the time to develop speaking and leadership skills.
Most of what I have learned in my life is self-taught. I read all of the time. My favorite hobby is making pottery. I haven’t spent much time playing with clay lately, but I did buy a used kiln last year. My first kiln was broken in our latest move. I have also learned how to cook pretty well. My kids most often requests involve homemade pizza or some kind of pasta. I actually designed our new house around an open kitchen so that my kids could participate. My 3 and 6 year olds help me feed dough into the pasta maker; my 15 year old has even won an award for her brownies.
Even with a full time job, 4 kids and a small farm, I still take time away for me. I attend retreats at an Episcopal Convent in Augusta Georgia. I’ve made great friends there, and I look forward to that time of rest and renewal.
As far as ambitions, I hope to become a better speaker. I’d like to use my skills and passion to help mothers and babies. I might go back to school one day and work on a Master’s Degree. Who knows, I might even write a book.
Overall, my life is pretty simple. I live in the country on 16 acres of land. I am still happily married to that guy I in high school. We have 4 amazing children and wonderful friends. For me, these are the most important things in this “simple life” of mine.

Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. In proper ToastMasters fashion, let me give you the comments that I would have given if I were your speech evaluator. A proper TasteMasters evaluation discusses what went well as well as gives 2-3 points for future improvement.

    Wow Melissa, what a wonderful speech. This was a good speech for anybody to give and it is a fabulous introductory speech.

    You covered all of the topics that need to be included in an introductory speech. You let us know who you are, where you came from, where you are now, and where you want to go. You shared your background and your passions.

    I especially like your use of humor. The dramatic pause and amused eye-roll before deadpanning the line about "If you are counting, that is 4 children." was especially effective. Humor is hard. You have a natural infectious humor and you should consider using in future speeches. And using that infectious humor in combination with the pauses and mannerisms will maximize its effectiveness.

    The organization of the speech was a natural, linear progression with time. This flow suited the style of the introductory speech. In future speeches, you might want to streamline the speech to more tightly focus the flow.

    I look forward to your future speeches at ToastMasters and to hearing you as you fulfill your ambition to become a better speaker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micheal, you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete