Saturday, July 7, 2012

Appreciation

I took my oldest child into our old neighborhood this week. We went to visit a neighbor and her granddaughter. She wasn't there, so we drove around and looked at our old house. I told her that I have a hard time fully appreciating something until it is gone. She responded with "Well, isn't that normal? Everyone does that."
First, I will say that I love it when someone affirms feelings without judgement. My daughter has had this ability since I can remember. Second, I am very sure that she is right. It seems to be very hard to be able to appreciated something fully until we contrast it with it being gone. That contrast seems to be a place where we really get to appreciate something.
That contrast can come in a different direction. Sometimes, we go without something. When we get it for the first time, or after a long time, we appreciate it greatly. Most importantly, we learn not to take it for granted. I think that is probably why we have one of the greatest dogs in the world. We found him through a rescue shelter. He had been found with wounds and feces all over him where he had been kept in a small cage. The woman who found him, cleaned him up, fed him, and got him ready for a loving family. This is where Buddy came into our life, and he is a great dog. He seems to appreciate everything, and always does as we ask him.
I feel this is important in human relationships also. We should try to appreciate each other as best we can. I doubt we can fully appreciate each other until one is gone. After watching a few friends move away, I appreciate them more now. When we get together, our time becomes very precious. Also, I've come to value relationships where I am appreciated. I don't take these friendships for granted any more. You never know when life will change things. You tend to loose the things in life that you take for granted.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. In memory, I only remember the good times and smooth away the work and indecision.

    ReplyDelete