Saturday, December 1, 2012

Getting away

I took this weekend off work to go to an Advent Retreat.  I had planned my whole month around worshipping deeply for 2 days.  I wanted to write, eat well and spend time renewing my spirit.  For a very good reason, the retreat was cancelled.
So, instead of attending this wonderful retreat today, I found myself cleaning up dog poop (because my husband insisted on keeping 2 puppies).  As I was scrubbing, I actually started pouting.  It is such a contrast to how I have planned to spend my time.  Plus, is this how I should be celebrating the beginning of Advent?
In a word, yes.
A woman's work is never done.  We are always scrubbing, cleaning, organizing, teaching, correcting, paying bills, cooking, buying, etc. I feel immense pressure in the care and keeping of this family.  It makes me wonder about the immense pressure a 16 year old Virgin felt as she left on a trip to give birth to God Incarnate.
Somehow, I believe that she had to get away to do this really hard work.  If she had stayed at home, too many things would have gotten her attention.  Plus, I know there is theological significance to all of it.  I have never spent much time in the intellectual side of religion.  I tend to ponder the every day messy part.  Of course Mary needed to leave her home to do this work.
I had planned to try to spend some time in a semi-retreat here at the house.  There is some writing I need to do, journalling, reading.  Instead, I scrubbed a floor, paid the bills and washed the children.  This will be the entirety of my weekend.  I realize that I will really have to leave the house in order to spend time renewing myself.
I will not spend a second feeling guilty when I do get away.

2 comments:

  1. May I suggest that a better way to celebrate advent would be to have a quiet retreat with your spouse?

    A good marriage needs its own scrubbing, cleaning, organizing, teaching, correcting, and cleaning up the poop that accumulates between a couple. I'm certain that you can find some buying, writing, journalling, and reading to enhance the marriage.

    A weekend-long honeymoon in mid-marriage can be as much fun as those youngsters had two millennia ago.


    Aside: Although Mary was young, was Joseph young? My mental model has him as a much older guy. Was he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked around a bit, I doubt Josheph's real age is known. I auctually picture him as about 20 or so. Younger people tend to be able to defy cultural norms better.
    I hear you about the mini honeymoon......

    ReplyDelete