Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Get to the point

I gave my second Toastmaster's speech today.  I tried very hard to look, act and sound confident.  This does not come easy to me, so this is part of my lesson here.  I have a mentor who is very encouraging and helping me step out of my comfort zone.  My speech was entitled 'Why would anyone in their right mind want to become a nurse?'
I think the content of the speech was pretty good.  I ended up not reading it, I used some notes.  The odd part for me was that I went over time.  I started this speech writing process thinking that I would have a hard time coming up with a solid 5-7 minutes.  I was worried I would come in under time.  Last night, I started timing myself.  I had written a 15 minute speech!  I couldn't believe it.  So I started cutting out parts, dissecting things.  I decided I could talk a little bit faster.  In the end, I had only half of my speech left.  I thought, for certain, I would be fine.  Well, I wasn't.
I talked a bit with my evaluator afterwords and he helped me understand something very important.  I should have concentrated on making only one point.  You tell stories, work on tying things in, but it all ties into the one thing you are trying to convey.  He said good speakers need about 10 minutes a point.  Inexperienced speakers (ME!) try to make several points in a short amount of time.
He said that I had some really good things today, it was just too easy to get lost in them.  You have to give the audience time to absorb a point, not step on it with another one.
So, in a way, this takes the pressure off.  I need to simplify and work on just a single point.  I can be glad if I convey one idea to a group of people and move on to see what is next.

1 comment:

  1. I agree.

    As a silver-level Toastmaster, one of the things that I learned was how to simplify my speeches. I needed to have a "take home" message and to ensure that everything was helping to drive that message. This drive forces an efficiency of words and a deceptive simplicity of message.

    ReplyDelete