Tuesday, December 27, 2011

After Christmas

I don't know who the author of this poem is. It was among some things a friend sent me last summer. I found it this morning, a true blessing on my day.



When the song of the angels is stilled,
When the star in the sky is gone,
When the kings and princes are home,
When the shepherds are back with their flock,
The work of Christmas begins:
To find the lost,
To heal the broken,
To feed the hungry,
To release the prisoner,
To rebuild the nations,
To bring peace among people,
To make music in the heart.

5 comments:

  1. I like the poem. It feels like a hymn that needs to be sung.

    I like the sentiments. These thoughts (and their structure) are echoed in a lot of the Jewish liturgy. These thoughts are part of tikkun olam, helping to repair the world.

    However, can you help your confused Jewish follower to understand how these thoughts relate to Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I knew how to understand this, I would. Sorry, I don't.
    Incarnation means "God made flesh". I still wonder what Mary was really thinking....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay... I was stuck on the line about The work of Christmas.

    If I follow your suggestion and think of Christmas as the arrival of redemption, then this makes more sense. Jesus being considered as a source of redemption. Then all of the following action items are the steps for redeeming the world. These acts of repairing the world are also the acts of helping to redeem the world?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that another thing to consider it Liturgy. It is defined as "the work of the people". Certain denominations are designated 'Liturgical'. Meaning they follow a liturgical calender and would have a liturgical church service. The worshippers are then expected to go out into the world and *do* the work (of the people).
    Unfortunately, most people believe that going to church is the 'work'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, also, I am not sure that one should think of Christmas as the arrival of redemption. I'll have to ponder that one for awhile.

    ReplyDelete