Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Raising kids

When I first found out I was pregnant, my husband and I set a goal. We wanted our children to grow up to be a compassionate and happy people. Nothing else really mattered. We didn't care what career they chose. We were not going to worry much about grades, sports, or other accomplishments. We were willing to accept any physical or mental deficiencies in our children. We just hoped for them to understand and give compassion. We have a great desire for them to be happy.
Four kids later, I can say that we still have this is our goal. It really is more of a mission statement. We have gone back to this goal many times when we were struggling with a decision. We will continue to try to do this as long we are lucky enough to be parents.
Someone gave me a book a few weeks ago. I hadn't paid much attention to the full title until today. This book is really hitting home with me, and helping me affirm many things. When I looked at the title, I realized why. It goes back to our mission statement: Attached at the Heart. 8 Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children. It was written by Barbara Nicholson and Lysa Parker.
I am grateful for haven started out my parenting with a goal like this. I am certain that it has helped me far more than my children. It helped me because I had to learn how to be a connected and compassionate person. I had to learn this so that I could model it for my kids. I had to allow myself to be broken and put back together with this mission in mind.
Parenting has been the most difficult undertaking in my life. I am sure that it will continue to break me in ways I had never thought possible. As I sat and listened to one of my childhood heroes speak last night, I knew that this work was worth it. He was a coach who won a national championship in 1981. He was an icon in my youth. He told the crowd in no uncertain terms: being a parent is the most important thing in this world. He said that his championship means very little compared watching his players become parents and grandparents. It was great to hear that message. It helps me stay focused on this goal my husband and I share of raising these kids. So, I keep muddling through this parenting journey of mine. I do it with gratitude for this kids, friends and family who have walked this walk with me.

1 comment:

  1. When planning our family, my wife and I desired for our children to be "happy, well adjusted people who work to the peak of their ability".

    I am amused by the similarity as well as by the slightly different emphasis between our familial goals.

    ReplyDelete