Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Change

I recently read an article in a Yoga magazine. It says that we should see change as initiation. I found it intriguing considering the many changes I seem to be going through. Some have even called it a Transforming time for me. It made me think of the example set for my by my maternal grandmother. I call her Gaga.
My grandmother was a 'cradle Episcopalian'. Going to the same little church at the end of the road from 3 months until she was 92 years old. At age 92, she was not able to drive, nor get up the church stairs. So, she was left at home most Sunday mornings because no one offered to help her get the short distance to church, or up the stairs. Lamenting her lack of church going to a neighbor, he instantly offered to take her to church with him. So, at 92, Gaga changed churches. This little Methodist church would embrace her, building a ramp for her wheelchair.
I can still remember how excited Gaga was at being a member of a church community again. I watched her glow with love for her new church family. I was so proud of her ability to change a 92 year old way of worshiping.
When Gaga was 95 years old, we faced the reality that she needed to be in an assisted care facility. Instead of dreading the change, she (once again) embraced it. She declared it would be her ministry to help her her neighbors by 'lifting their spirits.'
Someone told me that we learn the most from our elders. They really are the ones that shape us more than our parents. I hope that I can continue to learn from the examples that were set for me. I am hoping that I can embrace change and see what initiation it brings.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have been around my grandparents longer when they were around. I'm glad u have such wonderful memories of/with Gaga

    ReplyDelete