Friday, March 22, 2013

Being honest

It has been awhile since I sat in a sermon and started taking notes. I am easily moved during a sermon, especially when the message hits home. Rarely do I feel like I need to get the words exactly right. Since this was a sermon given without the use of notes, I couldn't even ask for a copy.
This was the life-profession of a nun. It was a teaching sermon, one that gave me a glimpse into a decision to dedicate a life of service to the church. It was given in a very humble manner, the Priest wearing crocs. It made me cry.
"We learn to pray by being honest with God" She talked about how we tend to fuss with our fellow humans, only to turn to God with platitudes and praise. We will be polite with the Creator while being rude to our Sisters and Brothers. Truer words were never spoken!
I remember sitting in a pew so angry with God, I refused to say the Psalm. I refused to say the prayers, I refused to sing. I started this conversation with someone or something I didn't really understand. I started taking my wounds and bringing them forth to the Healer, the One who knew me before I was born. I started being honest with God, and I ended up being honest with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment