Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Blessed are the peacemakers...

Matthew 5: 9,10

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."



So notice here, it does not say peacekeepers. I think there is a huge difference between one who makes peace, and one who keeps peace. Although, I am not exactly sure how someone might make peace. I think that Peace is actually when we rest in God's love. For in human terms, there is very little peace. I think there is primarily conflict. Yet, how do we deal with the inevitable conflict?

I think one of the most insidious ways of dealing with conflict is to avoid it at all costs. In order to do this, one must set up an appearance of peace. This forces people to become peacekeepers. At first, keeping the peace seems easy enough. It avoids the conflict at hand, and the peacekeeper gets immediate satisfaction. Yet, because this is only an appearance of peace, more and more effort goes towards appearances. I think slippery slope usually leads to someone being a 'peace monger.'

"Friedman (1996a, 1996b, 1999) had a special concern with emotional fields created by leaders that value togetherness over individuality, creativity, and/or imagination. He observed that Awhen a self-directed, imaginative, energetic, or creative member (low in the organizational hierarchy) is being consistently frustrated and sabotaged rather than encouraged and supported, 100 percent of the time it will be true that, regardless of whether the disruptors are supervisors, subordinates, or peers, the person at the very top of that institution will be a peace-monger@ (1996b, pp. 35-36), a person who believes good feelings are more important than progress, and who goes to great lengths to avoid anxiety and conflict at all costs."
(http://www.academicleadership.org/emprical_research/The_Edwin_Friedman_Model_of_Family_Systems_Thinking.shtml)

When I read this article, I was astonished. It gave me great insight into my own frustrations. I have been in several systems whose leaders were peace mongers. I now recognized that I was being sabotaged, and discouraged, for the sake of a sense of peace. It really had very little to do with my own abilities or creativity. It has very little to do with me in general.
So what did Jesus mean when he said 'Blessed are the peacemakers'? What does a peacemaker look like? I think that he is probably causing a bunch of trouble! He threatens a system's false sense of peace. He forces people to take a hard look at the reality of a situation, challenging their appearances. He doesn't settle for a false, terminal peace. He struggles for God's enduring Peace. I think that he simply makes room for God. That seems simple. Yet, in a world full of people wanting immediate ego gratification, that is harder than it looks. I think Jesus calls them Blessed because that he knows how hard this job is. In order to be a peacemaker, God must first bless you with the ability to perform this task. I suppose that making peace probably involves humility, kindness and discernment. I think that the peacemaker must be given the vision to see the greater picture, calling all of God's children into Love. All of God's children. Peace is meant for every person, not to be gained at the expense of another.

No comments:

Post a Comment