Sunday, May 9, 2010

Watch your tone!

I had an earlier post about "You Hypocrites!" I had started the post with the pretext that Jesus is yelling to those in authority. I sat with a Spiritual Director last weekend and she brought up this exact story. Although, her voice had a very different tone. Her tone was one of a loving Jesus beseeching people to see how they had strayed. Her voice was lowered, full of emotion and without judgement. She said that since Jesus embodied Love, he would have said everything in a loving matter. He needed to be able to be heard in Love.
I think this is one of my personal battles. I tend to get so animated, so passionate, so whatever, that people think that I am angry and judgemental. Instead of being heard in love, I make people defensive. Ugh! I guess I get to take, yet another, hard look at myself. No wonder I feel like one of the most misunderstood people on the face of the earth.
So, I guess Jesus must have mastered the ability to convey Love not only in his words, but in his tone. He was able to do this while challenging people to live fully into God's Love. He did it with simple sermons, simple parables and simple wisdom. He did it in a way that transformed those around him. He did it in a way that spread Love.
The Spiritual Director I saw last weekend convicted me on a couple of things. She conveyed her observations in such a loving manner, I heard it in love. She set the example that was set by Christ. I pray that I learn how to follow this example with my children, family and friends. I pray that I find the patience and words to convey not only my love to them, but also God's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment