Monday, May 3, 2010

The Lost Sheep

Matthew 15: 3-7
"So he told them this parable: What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and with his neighbors saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost."

There are many times in my life I have felt like the lost sheep. Right now is one of them. I had resigned myself to wandering about, trying to find another flock. I did not expect anyone to come after me. I recognize this as just one more sign of false leadership in our church. Yet, somehow my expectations were proved to be false. I have had several of the laity to reach out to us and ask us to come back. I have had friends make efforts to stay in touch. I am beginning to realize that my perception of who the leaders are is wrong. Authentic leaders do go after the one which is lost.
"Scripture does not just describe false leadership; it also highlights what true leadership is all about. Earlier, in the Jeremiah 23 passage, we read of God's condemnation of false shepherds in verses 1 and 2. If we go on to read verse 4, it explains what good shepards are supposed to do: "'I will place shepards over them who will tend them, and they will no longer be afraid or terrified, nor will any be missing,' declares the Lord." True shepherds care for their flocks. They keep them safe and secure. They go after any who stray." p. 142 Healing the Scars of Emotional Abuse
This makes perfect sense to me! Any time I have felt utterly lost, someone, somewhere found me! It just wasn't necessarily who I had expected. Sometimes, I think it was simply God who found me. Since I was all by myself, it gave us a little one on one time. Right now, I feel a little bit like I am on the shoulders of the Great Shepard. God seems to be rejoicing with me. Me?!?
Tomorrow, we will return home to our church. We return with the confidence that comes with being wanted and welcome. Our eyes remain wide open to the burden of trying to move with this parish in a healthy direction. Yet, I remain hopeful. Hopeful that the nudge I feel, impelling me towards our home church, is for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment