Saturday, November 9, 2013

To be humbled...

     One of my least favorite nursing instructors left me with a few nuggets of wisdom.  I still wonder why I didn't like her.  She talked about a patient, almost making a mistake and being humbled.  She says nurses need to be humbled often.  It keeps us honest.
     Today, I was sitting at the chiropractor's office and telling my third grader about the time my dad forgot to pick up his big sister from school.  I laughed talking about how bad my dad felt and the cheesecake that he bought her.  A little while later, I heard my phone ring.  I looked at the clock and gasped.  "I FORGOT TO PICK MAX UP!  I FORGOT, I FORGOT!  I'm on my way!"  My husband was calling to let me know that he was on the way to pick up our middle schooler.  I felt horrible.
I can give a list of reasons why I forgot.  His sister usually gets him, I worked last night, I'm tired, I.....
     I sat out in the drive way worried about how Max would greet me.  He just sorta grinned and said he wanted to text me "Forgot something?", but he didn't have wifi.  He wasn't upset.  He found out a long time ago that I'm fallible.  Quite frankly, I learned the same thing.  I guess it was good to get a reminder.
     It seems to me that most people in this world use being 'better than' to differentiate themselves.  They point their finger at someone else's folly.  They pretend that they are not capable of making the same mistake.  Somehow this makes up feel better.
      Well, I've come to accept that my next humbling moment is right around the corner.  I'd better not get too comfortable. 
I still owe a middle schooler a milk shake.  We'll get one this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment