Tuesday, April 9, 2013

"The Cloister Walk"

I had driven down to Charleston to hear Sue Monk Kidd speak.  I was very excited to hear her, I had just read a couple of her books.  I didn't even know there was another speaker, and I tried not to get impatient waiting for Kidd.  The other speaker was Kathleen Norris.  She blew me away.

She had written a book entitled The Cloister Walk.  I, honestly, don't remember specifically much of what she said that night, I just knew I wanted more.  I bought the book and took it home to read.  I had no idea how it would change my life.

She talks about her time at a Benedictine Monastery, and her journey to becoming an Oblate.  In this story, I found my own call to become an Associate of a local Convent.  It was quite a journey, and I savor it's beauty.  One day, I was walking down the hall towards the chapel, and I asked one of the Sister's if this is the Cloister walk.  I meant, is this the place called the Cloister walk.  She looked at me a bit quizzically.  She told me that the walk was something that we did. 

I was stunned!  I had spent the past several years understanding the Walk to be a noun.  In fact, it had been a verb all along!  First of all, how could I have made such a mistake?  This formative book in my life, this book that gave me strength, conviction and confidence to move into a religious community.  I had misunderstood it all along. 

Perhaps there is a lesson in this for me.  This small, yet significant, difference might help me understand much of my struggle.  My yearning has been for a place, a noun.  It was for an inanimate object.  It was something to be attained, owned, walked on.  It was simply a destination.  Looking for an action seems far too nebulous.  Being that action even more difficult.  I've decided to re-read this book right now.  I suspect my perspective will be much different, having gone on my own Cloister Walk.  I sense that my longing of a place is morphing into an action.  This action being what I will do, who I will be.  More simply, I might even discover who I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment