Thursday, January 10, 2013

Solidarity


solidarity  


Noun
  1. Unity or agreement of feeling or action, esp. among individuals with a common interest; mutual support within a group.
  2. An independent trade union movement in Poland that developed into a mass campaign for political change and inspired popular opposition...
Synonyms
unity


     I was at a farm one day when a friend announced that she lost her wedding band in the big fish tank.  As soon as another friend heard, she took off her band and threw it in, "For solidarity"
     I found the incident quite amusing.  I glanced at my husband and he remarked "Don't you dare!"  In a way, I wish I had.  I think there is something sacred in finding yourself in solidarity with another person or group.  It is an acknowledgment that what affects you, also affects me.  We caught glances of that after 9/11 when people announced:  "Today, I am a New Yorker."
    When my oldest child was in 4th grade, she got in trouble for something pretty stupid.  She couldn't play for the first 5 minutes of recess, so two of her friends sat right beside her.  When she told me about this, it brought tears to my eyes.  These are good friends.
     This morning, this young lady of ours was wearing a dress.  She is now 15 years old and rarely wears dresses.  I asked her why she was so dressed up.  A friend of hers had to dress up for a class, so her friends dressed up in support.
     Our daughter has remarked several times about how fun high school is for her.  She said that the secret is in having good friends.  I'd say she's got a pretty awesome group of kids.


2 comments:

  1. Let me guess, the first friend found her wedding band in the fish tank but the second friend's ring was lost forever?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are actually correct!

    ReplyDelete