Monday, January 7, 2013

Contentment

"He who is contented cannot be ruined." 

It was a proverb I was given a few years ago as I was struggling in one thing or another.  I have struggled a LOT over the past few years.  If you've read this blog, you might have a pretty good idea.

I look back and realized that the things I struggled over were worth it.  Our marriage is stronger, my relationships are stronger.  I am more confident, more compassionate.  I am much less defensive and reactive.  I've learned to bite my tongue.

Today, I had a pretty awesome day.  I am in between jobs.  My next one won't start right away, and I have decided to be OK with that.  I forgot how much I was missing my kids, my husband and my friends.  I thought having a full time job with a bunch of extra money was going to be the best thing for me, but I simply realized the more I make, the more I spend.  I'm planning on cutting back on my schedule, enjoying not working so much.

Life just got a whole lot simpler, and I cannot remember a time in my life where I felt such contentment.  Things even seem crisper to me.  I see things with distinction, not blurred places of struggle.

So, my day was filled with cleaning, cooking and driving kids around.  Breakfast with a good friend was the perfect way to start.  I am glad I have gotten to find this place of contentment.  I hope it stays for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment