Sunday, August 21, 2011

My birthday Present

My youngest son has been inviting people to his birthday party since last September. He invites everyone he sees, including the greeter at Walmart. He has been bugging some of his adoptive aunts for many months now, and many of them agreed to come. Yesterday, I realized that 2 of my college roommates had not been together since my wedding. Yet, here they were in my house!! I was so excited I didn't know what to do. Other friends of mine arrived and I realized that I was surrounded by some of the most amazing women in my life. My sisters were sitting around my Table!!
Somehow, in his now six year old heart, Carter weaved a magical night. I'll never forget how he smiled and lovingly invited people to come to his house and celebrate his birth. He asked for their presence, not presents. He wanted to share food, love and his time with others. He managed to help show his mom how much she is loved and respected. This comes at a wonderful time for me. My birthday is in 2 days, but I couldn't ask for any more. My thanks to Carter and all who came to our house last night. My friend Sue said it best: It was like Carter was gathering us all here as his birthday present to his mother.

1 comment:

  1. I expect that one of the advantages of a blog is the ability to see a history of snapshots of emotion. Compare the buoyant glee in this post to the sinking emotion of July 15's post. The manic-depressive range of emotions in the blogs captures the tidal sweep of life's emotions. It serves as a reminder that emotional ups-and-downs are inevitable, natural, and human.

    ReplyDelete