Thursday, October 17, 2013

In the dark

     I went out to my long neglected garden.  A wise friend told me that when life starts feeling out of kilter, put your hands in the dirt.  My mom had given me some long neglected fall vegetable plants, so I went to plant them.  As I started clearing off the enormous amount of weeds, I found something that look different, and green.  It was a carrot!  I had planted them last spring and they never did anything.  Somehow, those seeds planted long ago found a way to grow underneath the weeds.
     It is quite similar to a talk I had with my Spiritual Director.  I had lamented to her that I didn't feel like I was really accomplishing anything.  I'm just doing what I do without any perceived success.  Her answer was simple.  You never know what seeds grow in the dark.  Sometimes the most important fruit comes from that time.
     I guess there is a time and place for benign neglect.  I also discovered a new crop of red potatoes and two tomatoes growing in my vegetable garden.  Still, I have no idea what may come of my spiritual garden.  This time seems to be for waiting and seeing what, if anything, will come of my ponderings and prayers.  I sense good things.  I learned from my carrot today.  It was quite small and needed some more time to grow.  I should have trusted it would continue to grow into its fullness.  I'll try not to make that mistake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment