Monday, April 26, 2010

Looking at the edge of the water

Matthew 14: 28-31

And Peter answered him, "Lord if it is you, bid me come to you on the water." He said "Come." So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus; but when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me." Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, "O man of little faith, why did you doubt?"

After publishing my last post, I realized that it was time for me to call my spiritual mother. I also realized that I was getting a bit snotty with my comments about wanting others to 'practice what they preach.' So when I got her on the phone, I started telling her about missing her and missing my church. Next thing you know, she started to challenge me. Yep, you guessed it, she told me something that I didn't want to hear. She talked to me about this story about Peter.
"You are too busy looking at the edge of the water!" She said that once Peter took his eyes off of Jesus he began to get scared and started to drown. She told me that I need to quit worrying about what everyone else is doing and concentrate on Jesus.
Of course, she is right. I keep getting distracted from my own walk with Jesus. I am amazed at how this story fits so directly into my life right now. I am amazed at this woman's ability to draw me into this one, and others.
Every single day, I make mistakes. Some of them I learn from. Many of them I am doomed to repeat. I am blessed to have people in my life who find ways to reach me when I get caught up in myself. Because of them, I get to grow. I will grow for the rest of my life. When we stop growing, we start dying. Or in Peter's case, we start drowning.

No comments:

Post a Comment